MACLEAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
An Act was passed in the Provincial Legislature in 1953 incorporating the MacLean Memorial Hospital Limited. No action was taken at that time due to petitions circulated by those who were not in favor of a Hospital in the Village.
In 1961 an action was initiated at a meeting of the McAdam Board of Trade to again bring the matter before the public to establish a Hospital in McAdam.
The Councillors of the Parish of McAdam called a special meeting on March 5, 1962.(a) to get the citizens of the parish to authorize the expenditure of the sum of $150.In order to show some reason for a Hospital in McAdam, special speakers were invited to the meeting. Mr. R. H. Stocker, the Administrator of the Victoria Public Hospital, Fredericton, and a member of the Board of Directors of the New Brunswick Hospital Association. Also, Mr. D. Higman, Assistant Superintendent of the Brownville Division of the Canadian Pacific Railway attended this meeting.
(b) to seek legislative amendments to the Act of 1953 extending the time under which a plebiscite may be held from the second of May 1953 to December 3 1 st 1962.
In Mr. Stocker's remarks, he spoke of some of the perplexing problems that might be encountered when erecting a Hospital and gave his views on how some of the problems might be overcome. He also stated it was practically impossible to attract a qualified medical practitioner to a community unless there were Hospital facilities close at hand.
He further stated that a Hospital in the area would be an industry in itself, and could very well be the nucleus to attract additional industry to McAdam. To illustrate his point, Mr. Stocker mentioned that officials of any industry desirous of locating in a community primarily requested information of three important factors.1. Namely, the place of Worship in the community.Mr. Higman, in his remarks, stated that the people of Brownville, Maine, were in the identical predicament as those in McAdam since they have no Hospital, hence, no doctor is available although many attempts have been made to obtain one.
2. The educational facilities in the community.
3. Medical and Hospital facilities in the community.
He said as an official of the Canadian Pacific Railway, he was extremely apprehensive of the present situation in McAdam. Without a doctor, there was no protection for the local railway employees; and, that should a hospital be erected, the small increase in individual taxation would be little enough to pay for the protection.
On April 23, 1962, a public meeting was held for further discussion on the question of a hospital.
Mr. J. H. Carr, County Councillor and Civil Defence Co-ordinator for the County of York was the special speaker. He explained his duties and the part this department would play in a Hospital at McAdam.
He advised they would supply the Hospital with medication that may be required in the event of a disaster providing there is a National Disaster Plan.
The importance of a hospital, he went on to say, cannot be overrated especially in the event of a war or other disaster, therefore, for this reason alone, Satellite Hospitals, if they may be called such, must be available to take care of casualties. This also bears true in our present day, as presently the hospitals we now have in this area have a long waiting list.
A plebiscite was to be held on April 26 and it was hoped that everyone would support it.
The Councillors were authorized to have the Act amended. A slate of temporary directors were elected and the Corporation authorized to borrow a sum of money not exceeding in the aggregate $250,000.
A meeting was called on May 1, 1962, to have the Provisional Directors take initial action relating to the erection of the proposed hospital.
The several committees were set up to proceed with the prelirainary arrangements that were required.
A letter was received from Arthur Limerick, Barrister of Fredericton, N.B. indicating that whilst awaiting ratification of the Bill of the MacLean Memorial Hospital Limited by the Provincial Government, it would be in order to proceed with plans for the erection of the Hospital.
The record of the preliminary work between the first meeting and the awarding of the contract on April 9, 1964, to Maritime Engineering Ltd. and the actual completion of the building January 20, 1965, is a volume in itself.
The official opening ceremony was held June 22, 1965, by the Honourable Georges Dumont, Provincial Minister of Health, and the Honourable Miss Judy LaMarsh, Minister of National Health and Welfare, who gave much praise to those individuals principally engaged in the planning and construction. She stated the building of this Hospital has been a real achievement and the "initiative of you people under your chosen leaders caused it to be built." Miss LaMarsh then cut the ribbon across the Main Entrance and declared the building officially opened.
When she arrived in McAdam, Miss LaMarsh was presented with a bouquet of red roses by nine-year old Frances O'Keefe, daughter of Mrs. Francis O'Keefe and the late Dr. O'Keefe. All those who spoke at the ceremony paid tribute to Dr. O'Keefe who had been a physician in
McAdam; and at a Board of Trade meeting held in 1961, had initiated the action that brought about construction of the hospital. The hospital was named "MacLean Memorial Hospital Ltd." as a Memorial to Dr. Roy MacLean who practiced in McAdam as a resident doctor from 1926 until his death April 11, 1952.
The "Hospital Aid" was formed to assist in the betterment of the
guests of the MacLean Memorial Hospital.
Mrs. Valreia Hunter had invited two members from each Church to
her home for a cup of tea. The invitation was accepted and resulted in
the inception of what was to become the organization known to our
community as the "Hospital Aid."
Due to her zealousness, Mrs. Hunter arranged to have two tables of
cards with her friends. She asked each one to bring a guest to the next
meeting, making four tables. The same request was repeated at each
meeting until the Organization was formed.
photo - Boy Scout Centennial Project Hand Car and Velosipede in Park at McAdam, NB.
photo - Canada Geese with young at Pond by Station, McAdam, N.B. 1978
In 1956, a pair of Canada Geese was first introduced to the pond located south of the C.P.R. Station by J. Walter Sangster, Sr., who at that time was General Car Foreman for the Canadian Pacific Railway at McAdam. He is now retired and living in McAdam.
During the year, 1956, Mr. Sangster and other employees, with the approval of Mr. F. E. Bailey, now retired and living in Florida) who was superintendent of the Brownville Division of the Canadian Pacific Railway, had this pond and surrounding area declared a bird sanctuary through the Federal Branch of Wild Life and Migratory Bird Act.
This bird sanctuary is covered under the Migratory Bird Act with a permit for "Aviculture" which among other things, allows migratory birds to be held the year round if necessary.
Since that time, many of the Canada Geese and their offspring, though wild by nature, have returned to nest and hatch their young.
In 1968, a total of 52 Canada Geese left for their journey South. Many of us have watched Canada Geese in flight on their migration North, as well as South, during the spring and fall, flying in a "V" formation. It is hard to realize that many of these birds weigh up to 15 pounds each, the male being the larger.
In the meantime, other water fowl began to increase in number, due to being fed and protected as much as possible by the railway employees and other nature lovers.
photo - Lake Ave, McAdam, N.B. 1916
photo - Wauklehegan Lake, McAdam, N.B. Mount Henry in background. McAdam,, N.B. 1978
In 1958, it was established as a banding station for migratory birds and the following year, a total of 4,395 water fowl of nine different varieties passed through this banding station including 906 new bands being applied.
Reports have been received that some of these birds were shot down or picked up as far away as South America. There are few domestic fowl that receive the attention that is given to the Canada Geese. At McAdam, they are watched by adults and children alike. Many have become so tame that they will eat out of your hand.
LAKE LAND OF NEW BRUNSWICK
At the entrance of the Village of McAdam, the "welcome sign" shows a fish leaping when caught by an angler, and the slogan "Lake Land of New Brunswick."
There are fourteen lakes that are completely in the Parish of McAdam. These are: Snow Shoe, Kilburn, Fifth, Sixth, Tomflson, Pleasant, Modsley, Third, First, McAdam, Foster, Big and Little Duck, and one small one shown on the map without a name.
The greater part of Shogomoc and Palfrey, with a good portion of Spednic lie in the Parish, with Magaguadavic and Mink having small portions crossing the Parish line. (Magaguadavic pronounced Mag-a-
From these lakes the water flows west into the St. Croix River system, southward into the Magaguadavic River, and northward into the Shogomoc thence to the Saint John River.
The lake that is now called McAdam Lake since 1953 was known as Wauklehegan Lake, possibly derived from Passamaquoddy, Queetotagunahgun "Dry Meat There." On the old plans it was called Alibaba.
Modsley Lake lies two miles north of McAdam. When the Canadian Pacific Railway was built from Montreal to Saint John in 1871 the name McAdam was moved two miles south. It was replaced at McAdam Brook by the name Maudsley for the station on the St. Andrews and Quebec Railway, in corrupted form, the name was transferred to the Lake formerly known as Fourth Lake and Fourth South Titcombe Lake.
Shogomoc Lake was once called Cronk Lake for a Mill Operator called Cronkite. The surveyors over the years had many ways of spelling Shogomoc, the name derived from Malisett, Seeogamook, possibly means "Still Water Lake" or possibly "Place of Chief."
Magaguadavic in Passamaquoddy, Mageecaatawgun, means "Lake of Big Eels." On the survey map of 1798, it is Magagawdawagun (Loon Lake), there have been many different spellings over the years.
At one time there were only five in the series of lakes known by numbers one to six. In 1903, a dam was built for better water storage for stream driving by the lumbermen. This created what is today Third Lake.
Spednic, one of the Chiputneticook Lakes on the New Brunswick-Maine Boundary, in Passamaquoddy, Chiputneticook, "Great Forked River" in reference to that part of the St. Croix River from there to Grand Falls flowage.
Palfrey, adjacent to Spednic, north west of McAdam, was possibly
Three tribes of Indians lived in New Brunswick: Micmacs, Maliseets, and Passamaquoddies. The latter tribe lived upon the St. Croix and Passamaquoddy Bay. From these Indians, many of our place names originated and are still in use today.
There are many other lakes within a 25-mile radius of McAdam, most of which are easily accessible by good highways. Many of the residents of McAdam have summer cottages on Magaguadavic, Oromocto, Harvey, Lake George, Palfrey, and various other lakes, some of which are only accessible by boat.
Species of fish include: Land Lock Salmon in Spednic and Pafrey; with Bass, White and Yellow Perch, Trout, Pickerel, Eels, and Chub in most of the others.
What prompted a Manor in McAdam?
It was in the fall of 1971 when a local Initiatives Project application was completed and found to be successful, that a project submitted known as "The McAdam Research Project" was initiated by the Board of Directors for MacLean Memorial Hospital and Village Council.
The project's task was to determine the growing number of aged in the community who lacked proper care, and/or accommodations.
It was the belief of the two groups that a study should be undertaken to ascertain the need for a low cost, low rental housing, for a Senior Citizens' Residence with Nursing Home facilities.
In May of 1972, the report completed, findings were revealed that indicated a definite need in Nursing Home facilities.
This report made the following recommendations:(1) The Board of Directors of MacLean Memorial Hospital appeal to the Minister of Health for permission to add a Nursing Home wing to the existing Hospital.With these two recommendations in mind, along with many others pertinent to the construction of a Nursing Home, an active Board of Directors started working to achieve this goal.
(2) The said wing to be operated by the Board of Directors as a separate entity apart from the Hospital in the same manner as any Nursing Home run by a Charitable NON-Profit Organization.
In November of 1973, following eighteen months of study, approval was given for the construction of a 3(Y-bed Nursing Home; along with this permission came a $2,000 per bed grant from the Provincial
Department of Health.
A NON-Profit organization was formed with a local Board of Directors consisting of nine persons: Giles Cook, President; John Page, Vice-President; Bruce Perley, Treasurer; Directors: Donald Maxwell, Holly Lister, Phillip Chessie, Vincent Moffitt, Irving Thomas, and Mrs. Evelyn Taylor.
Although a Nursing Home was only in the planning stages, the Board began work to make it a reality and throughout the winter of 1973-74 and 1974-75 building plans were prepared and approved, land acquired, loan applications completed, and contractors contacted. Many months passed with numerous meetings held to discuss what action would be undertaken in order to obtain the best results in the construction of a building suitable for a Nursing Home.
Tenders were called in February, 1975. The bids received were thought too high by the Board and it was necessary for the Board to negotiate further. Eventually, the contract was awarded to S. C. R. Construction and Engineering Ltd. for a 30-bed Nursing Home adjacent to the MacLean Memorial ]Hospital for the sum of $506,169.50.
A sod turning ceremony was held on the site on July 2, 1975, at 7:00 p.m. with Hon. G. N. Cockburn, MLA, Minister of Health; L. Giles Cook, President, Board of Directors; and Kenneth Fraser, C.M.H.C.
Representative, taking part. This event marked the official beginning of construction.
On April 25, 1976, the building was open to the public for inspection. The Board was advised on February 25, 1976, by Hon. G. N. Cockburn, Minister of Health, that there would be a delay in opening the Manor for guests due to Provincial Government Financial Restraints and the Manor would not be opened until November 2, 1976.
The official opening took place October 24, 1976, at 3:00 p.m. Opening remarks by Mr. Vincent Moffitt, Chairman of the Opening. Blessing by Clergyman - Rev. Robert Barry Introduction of Platform Party - Mr. Vincent Moffitt. Unveiling of Corner Stone - Mr. L. Giles Cook, Mr. John Page Address - Central Mortgage and Housing Representative, Mr. Kenneth Fraser
Address - Assistant Deputy Minister of Health Dr. Herbert Wyle
Address - Hon. Leslie Hull
Presentation of Keys - Ronald Lynch, S C R Construction to William Lake, Architect. From William Lake, Architect, to L. Giles Cook,
Board Chairman, who accepted the keys and delivered the acceptance address.
Invitation Tour - The Chairman declared the Home opened, and invited the guests and the public to tour the building and to have refreshments.
On November 1, 1976, the first resident guest came to Wauklehegan Manor. The new Manor has a floor space of 10,326 square feet and a basement area of 3,544 square feet. It consists of a
main lobby, dining room, two small lounges, four private rooms, thirteen double rooms, and a beauty room. Each room has its own bathroom, divider curtains, an intercom or direct voice system linking the nurses desk with the bedside of the guest. A whirlpool bath is also available to the guests, it is mechanically operated. The guest can be lifted in or out of the tub with no physical effort on his or her part.
The rooms are beautifully decorated in soft pastel colors and are of large and convenient size.
When the building was completed, the total cost of construction was $541,358.50. A grant of $60,000 was received by Wauklehegan Manor from the Department of Health to assist with construction costs. The total loan approved by the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation for construction of the building was $441,739. The equipment and furnishings costs are not allowable as part of the Mortgage Loan and must be financed by local initiative. The estimated costs of equipment and furnishings for the Manor was $70,000. The
following plaque was placed in the Manor:
WAUKLEHEGAN MANOR INCORPORATED
EXPRESSES APPRECIATION OF THE
GENEROSITY OF THESE DONORS WHO
HAVE LIBERALLY CONTRIBUTED TO
THE ENDOWMENT OF THIS NURSING
Groups and individuals sponsoring a $500 donation or more to the Manor, whose monies are used to purchase needed furnishings and equipment, other than specific items and rooms, will have their names
placed on this plaque.
Those who furnished rooms will have their names placed on plaques attached to the door of the room furnished.
A book of records will list all donors to the Manor, regardless of the financial contribution made.
The response to this fund has been made by the people of McAdam, others who have lived here, service clubs, lodges, churches, Venturers, R.C.M.P., local business firms, memorials to relatives and friends, and by fund-raising events to the amount of $42,417.23 as of March 31, 1977.
On April 23, 1942, Oswald Coburn of Harvey bought the Charles Anderson Building on Depot Street, McAdam, where he started his new dairy. He imported the most up-to-date machinery he could procure and had A. F. Charters of Montreal come to McAdam to instruct Lester Embleton and Eugene Godkinson the art of pasteurizing milk.
To explain briefly, pasteurizing simply means heating the milk to 143' Fahrenheit, holding it at that temperature for exactly thirty minutes, and cooling it as rapidly as possible to 50'. The milk is then
mechanically bottled, capped, and held in storage until delivery. This insures the purity of the milk, and so safeguards the health of all who use it.
Early in 1966 a company called "The Industrial Cab Company" took over an old building for the purpose of producing protective cabs for industrial equipment.
It is now housed in a new large modern concrete building. An American firm from Massachusetts uses McAdam as its source of production and supply for the Canadian market.
The majority of their employees are men who had at one time worked on the Canadian Pacific Railway. They had learned their trade as welders prior to the closing of the Railway Shops. These men preferred to stay in McAdam rather than move to other locations for work.
A new plywood mill has been built in the East end of McAdam by the Georgia Pacific Building Materials Ltd. The Company in December, 1976, opened its first plywood plant in Canada.
The Federal Department of Regional Economic Expansion played a significant role in bringing the new industry to the area by making a Regional Development incentive offer.
The Multi-Million Dollar Plant, which is about twice as long as a football field and covers about four acres, is capable of producing 90,000,000 square feet of soft plywood sheeting a year for the construction industry, and will draw mainly on wood supplies from Georgia Pacific holdings in both Maine and New Brunswick.
The new mill has brought about 170 badly needed jobs to the Village.
Softwood logs are debarked, the bark being used as fuel for heating the boilers. The plywood is cut from the logs and the center core is
either saved for fence posts or ground into wood chips to be used as pulpwood. If any of the plywood is rejected; it, too, gets ground up and is used as fuel for heating the boilers.
The building is large enough that Railway Cars can be taken inside for loading without having to transport the plywood to an outside loading point.
A huge crane, some 85 feet tall and 185 feet in length, stands at the front of the mill to unload the log trucks as they arrive in the mill yard, stacking the logs in huge piles, to supply the mill as required.
Most of the plywood goes to the markets of Upper Canada to supply the building trade.
With the coming of the mill, housing for the mill workers was assured in the Village. Due to a housing shortage, Georgia Pacific turned over 37 acres of land to the New Brunswick Housing Corporation to accommodate 166 houses and 22 mobile home lots. The money New Brunswick Housing will pay Georgia Pacific will, in turn, go to the Village for additional recreation areas.
In Phase I of this project, a new trailer park has been opened and several building lots are being prepared for building. A small Shopping Center has been built with three new stores now in operation and facilities for others.
The first locomotive to be placed on the railway between Fairville and City Camp (later McAdam) was the Carleton No. 2. It was brought from Portland, Maine, in the schooner "R-M Brookins" for the Western
Extension Railway Company. The locomotive was made ready at what was then known as "Brundage's Point" today called "Westfield Beach."
The date of arrival was August 10, 1868; and, after she was assembled, was used on ballast and track-laying trains.
The "R-M Brookins," a schooner of 169 tons, was commanded by a Captain Douglas. Her cargo was consigned to Scammell Brothers, a famous old shipping company of Saint John.
The piece of land over which the Carleton was moved, between the Saint John River and the Railway Line, was at one time mowed regularly during the summer months, and presented the appearance of a well kept lawn. It was dotted with short evergreen trees carefully shaped in various ways.
The field was kept in this condition as a Memorial to the landing of the locomotive, but today the site is quite neglected.